Arrival (2017)Drama, Mystery, Sci-fi
Photos (28) View all photos
Ratings & Reviews Read all reviews
Major tip would be not to take the movie too seriously. Sure there are plotholes like why would you need the protag to translate chinese when you have literally a room full of mulitiliguists.
It wasnt as cerebral or thought provoking as i hoped it would be, but it most definitely wasnt 2 hours ill spent either.
This movie left everybody in the cinema clueless and bored to death.
So many things in the movie make ZERO sense, just a few examples:
- The colonel expects the linguist to decipher some alien language that sounds like gwowodkgjdkgrowlhwkas on the spot from a dicta phone.
- Most important event in humankind and all decisions are taken by some random soldiers in the camp. President of the US or any politicians are never shown and take no role whatsoever in the story.
- Some "rogue" soldier (god knows how) gets his hands on explosives, avoids all controls, and expects to destroy with a few C4 charges a huge spaceship which defies the laws of physics.
- The way they "decipher" the alien random scrabbling are just completely arbitrary and laughable (aka there is no explanation on how anything is deciphered) but magically after a few months they have a full vocabulary with which they can have a conversation. In real history many real human languages based on actual letters (not random stains in the air) were a completely unintelligible until the Rosetta Stone was found with a key to understand them.
- The alien presence on earth is just nonsensical. They arrive, say that they have bought some "gift" to humanity because in 3000 years they will need help in return (for what?) and then they disappear in thin air without having accomplished anything.
- The attack by the Chinese general (again, no government exists, it seems that soldier can just do what the heck the want) is stopped by some phone call whose contents nobody bothers to explain.
- most of the movie is just going back and forth from the ship, zzzzzzzzzz
- The physicist is practically useless. He just sits around without giving any scientific contribution. His only role is to represent the love interest of the linguist. He could have been a janitor for all I know.
People saying that this is the best movie ever have probably never seen a movie in their life or have suffered a concussion. Proof of this is that, while we're still talking about 2001 a space odyssey after 40 years, in 3 months nobody will remember this onsensical, boring, badly written piece of garbage.
I love the main idea it presented about time. It's heart breaking and amazing. It's not your average bombastic sci fi film but it will hit you at right spot as long as you immerse yourself completely to what's going on. The sound is suspenseful and added much depth to the picture. And Amy Adams is sublime, I just don't get it why she didn't get nominated for Oscars. Her acting was right there along with Sandra Bullock's character in Gravity.
Spoiler. The aliens in this movie are dumb, if the movie is claiming that these aliens are more advanced, then why the hec did they not learned the human language first, before their 'arrival' to planet Earth to avoid conflict due to miscommunication???? Instead these aliens kept squirting black inks.
I would suppose that most people will find the movie dragging, bordering on boring. But it's precisely the whole point of the film: bringing its audience to the same emotional and cerebral ride as the main characters in the movie took before they realize the full extent of the purpose why THEY "arrived". This is not your usual loud sci-fi movie; a lot of heart and soul are integrated in the plot (be forewarned that this is not your typical loud sci-fi thriller).
Arrival is one of the best films I saw from the recent years! A big clap to the whole production of this movie!!!