Cinemalaya has finally announced the competing full-length films and shorts for this year’s competition. The Cultural Center of the Philippines and Cinemalaya Foundation Inc. will return to holding on-site screenings for the 18th edition of the independent film festival, happening from August 5 to 14, 2022.
The full-length films in the competition were the finalists selected for 2020 and 2021 editions of the film festival, but due to COVID-19 restrictions, they could not finish their filming. Below are the 11 full-length films competing in this year’s Cinemalaya:
- 12 Weeks by Anna Isabelle Matutina
- Angkas by Rain Yamson
- Bakit ‘Di Mo Sabihin? by Real S. Florido
- Batsoy by Ronald Espinosa Batallones
- Blue Room by Ma-an L. Asuncion-Dagńalan
- Bula Sa Langit by Sheenly Gener
- Ginhawa by Christian Paolo Lat
- Kaluskos by Roman S. Perez, Jr.
- Kargo by TM Malones
- Retirada by Milo Alto Paz and Cynthia Cruz-Paz
- The Baseball Player by Carlo Obispo
For the short feature main competition, the 12 finalists are:
- Ampangabagat nin Talakba ha Likol by Maria Estela Paiso
- Black Rainbow by Zig Dulay
- City of Flowers by Xeph Suarez
- Dikit by Gabriela Serrano
- Distance by Dexter Paul de Jesus
- Duwa-Duwa by Nena Jana Achacoso
- Kwits by Raz de la Torre
- Mata Kang Busay by Nińo B. Maldecir and Cypher John T. Gayorgor
- Mga Handum nga Nasulat sa Baras by Arlie Sweet Sumagaysay and Richard Jeroui Salvadico
- See You, George! by Mark Moneda
- Si Oddie by Maria Kydylee Torato
- Roundtrip to Happiness by Claudia Fernando
The competing films will also be screened at select partner cinemas nationwide from August 10 to 17, followed by regional screenings in selected communities from August 22 to 29. The films will also have an online run from October 17 to 31 via the CCP Vimeo account.
The Cinemalaya Awards Night will be held on August 14 at the Tanghalang Nicanor Abelardo (CCP Main Theater).
A major component of the film festival, the Gawad CCP Para sa Alternatibong Pelikula at Video, considered the longest-running independent film competition of its kind in the ASEAN region, also gathers some of the best films out there which will compete in various categories such as Short Feature/Narrative, Experimental, Documentary, and Animation. Finalists from the different categories will be screened from August 6 to 8, 2022 at the CCP Tanghalang Manuel Conde, with the awarding happening on August 13.
For more updates and information, visit the CCP and Cinemalaya websites.