As a Bicolana, I find it weird (but still yum) when Bicol Express becomes the main dish of a meal. In Bicol, I grew up eating it just as a side dish to fried dishes, grilled fares, or hearty soups just to name a few.
There may not be a right or wrong way to cook this, because either way, it turns out great. But this is how I grew up knowing what Bicol Express is, and I’m sharing with you how we make it at home.
Bicol Express Ingredients:
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 large-sized onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2-inch ginger, sliced
- 250g pork shoulders, cut into cubes
- 750g shrimp paste, washed
- 15 pieces red and green chilis, sliced
- 2 cups of coconut milk
How to make Bicol Express:
1. Heat oil in a pan and start browning the pork.
2. Once the meat is browned, put in the aromatics and continue stirring to prevent from burning.
3. Add the shrimp paste and continue stirring.
4. Continue cooking for 10 minutes before adding the coconut milk.
5. Let it simmer until oil appears on top.
6. Add your desired amount of red and green chilis.
7. Let it simmer for about 5 minutes.
8. Serve and enjoy!
Connect with us. What other recipes do you want to see?