Eight Coffee Bar is UCC's latest concept that recently opened at the second floor of 8 Rockwell along Hidalgo Drive, Rockwell. As expected from a UCC establishment, there's an extensive lineup of coffee from around the world; it also has a food menu featuring UCC's top hits, most of the items stemming from its UCC Clockwork concept.
What makes this new restaurant stand out is their Adlai menu, putting on spotlight the local grain -- it is high in fiber, gluten-free, and a healthful alternative to rice or corn. Adlai is also known as 'Job's Tears' because the grass produces grains with a bead-like shape. Aside from being high fiber and gluten free, the grain is known to have anti-inflammatory, muscle relaxant, fever reducing and sugar lowering properties. Eight Coffee Bar is out to make more foodies crave a different kind of crop with their lineup. Check out these five must-try dishes featuring adlai sourced from indigenous farmer partners of Hineleban foundation.
1. Adlai Pesto Salad (P350): good for sharing, this filling salad is a mix of grilled chicken, mixed greens, adlai, sliced onions, corn, cherry tomatoes, bell peppers, and cucumber drizzled with pesto paste and served with Japanese dressing.
2. Adlai Minestrone (P220): adlai adds more texture and fiber to this hearty soup of bacon, tomato concasse (crushed tomatoes), mixed vegetables, and roasted garlic.
3. Truffled Adlai Mushroom Risotto (P420): a sure hit for truffle lovers, buttered adlai replaces rice in this creamy risotto with a medley of mushrooms, chicken stock, and parmesan shavings.
4. Adlai Seafood Paella (P750): adding more bite and chewiness to a Spanish classic is flavorful saffron adlai, loaded with prawns, scallops, squid, mussels, chorizo, chicken, and garbanzos; a squeeze of lemon rounds up everything deliciously.
5. Champorado Adlai Arancini (P350): an Italian savory treat takes a sweet spin, as three chocolate stewed adlai balls are fried until crisp on the outside, then served with ice cream, whipped cream, and chocolate sauce. A hot and cold dessert that combines Filipino and Italian on your tastebuds.
Eight Coffee Bar by UCC is now open, located on the second floor of 8 Rockwell in Hidalgo Drive, Rockwell Center, Makati. The store is open daily from 7am to 12 midnight. Call 771-2718, and follow Eight Coffee Bar on Facebook and Instagram (eightbyucc).