The World Street Food Congress 2016: The Comforting Flavors of Home
About the Event
The World Street Food Congress (WSFC) is a symposium, conference and a mega street feasting festival that celebrates and seeks opportunities and possibilities for the world’s most popular food culture – heritage and comfort street food.
The world’s oldest and grandest street food culture arose from an era where opportunities were rare; folks trying their level best to make ends meet had to hawk their heritage and often ingenious recipes on the streets to eke out a living. Over the decades and centuries, these dishes have become iconic and beloved by the masses. The majority in such cities, rely on these comfort heritage street foods today and it has become a big part of the culinary culture of the land.
The WSFC is not just about comfort food and deliciousness. The WSF Dialogue component is about addressing issues of preservation, sustainability, relevance and the world of opportunities we can create tomorrow. The third installation of the WSFC2016 sails from Singapore to the Bonifacio Global City (BGC) in Metro Manila, Philippines, after two successful runs in the Lion City (2013 and 2015).
The World Street Food Congress has three components:
1. The World Street Food Dialogue (April 20th-21st) featuring international presenters and speakers such as Stephen Werther (creator of Bourdain Market), KF Seetoh (Creator and Curator of World Street Food Congress and Founder of Makansutra), William Wongso (Indonesian Food Ambassador), and Woo Wai Leong (MasterChef Asia Season 1 Winner). There will also be a Hawker Panel, and The Pitch Box, a 3-minute segment given to all the young comfort food warriors and commentators to distill their aspirations and goals on stage. It also will include cooking demonstrations of iconic dishes from various presenters.
Dialogue ticket Price: USD 250 (includes 4 tea-breaks/2 lunches, and Jamboree vouchers worth P1,200; register online at wsfcongress.com/ticket-pricing-registration
2. The World Street Food Jamboree (April 20th – 24th at Federacion Drive and 9th Avenue, BGC) featuring up to 24 hawkers from around the world that will be setting up their stalls and offering unique and iconic street food fare. Expect street food stalls from Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore, and more.
Opening Hours of the Jamboree (7th Avenue and 25th Street, BGC):
Wed to Fri, 20- 22 April 2016: 4:00pm to 11:00pm
Sat, 23 April 2016: 12:00pm to 11:00pm
Sun, 24 April 2016: 12:00pm to 9:00pm
3. The World Street Food Awards will recognise the best players and professionals in the field, and five categories of awards are Best 20 Street Food Masters, Best Street Food City, Best Street Food Concept/Restaurant, Best Writer/Commentator/Blogger, and Best Publication.
World Street Food Congress 2016 is presented by the Department of Tourism, Tourism Promotion Board Philippines, Ayala Malls, and is brought to you by Makansutra (S) Pte Ltd, founded by entrepreneur-photojournalist KF Seetoh with a mission to celebrate heritage street food culture.
For more information, visit their website.
Ratings & Reviews
New Movies This Week
- Burn the Stage: The Movie Thu, Nov 15 Watch Trailer
- Through Night and Day Wed, Nov 14 Watch Trailer
- Don't Leave Home Wed, Nov 14 Watch Trailer
- Kung Paano Siya Nawala Wed, Nov 14 Watch Trailer
- Haunting on Fraternity Row Wed, Nov 14 Watch Trailer
- Coldplay: A Head Full of Dreams Wed, Nov 14 Watch Trailer